10 August, 2010

Sing on cricket

I was surfing the web in my Paris flat tonight while listening to a piano recital France Musique was broadcasting live from La Roque d'Anthéron, one of the many Summer musical festivals being held in the South of France. Romantic piano music played by the American pianist Jonathan Biss... but I suddenly realized I could hear a very irritating buzz. Wondering what it was, I went into the kitchen to check the refrigerator and see why it was vibrating so much but the fridge was not to blame.

I came back into the living room, I could still hear the irritating buzz around the beautiful piano music from the radio. Then I suddenly understood. I turned the radio off and the buzz stopped with the music. The buzz was coming from around the piano. In the South of France the crickets and cicadas were singing around the open-air piano recital. I thought about Ella and her mythical improvisation in the cricket song.

After the piano recital: jazz music and Ella. How was that for a coincidence?
You can podcast the shows during a month from now to listen to the crickets, the piano and Ella.

Ella Fitzgerald
The cricket song, Ella at Juan-les-pins, Verve

Photo: litlnemo

1 comment:

  1. The way u tell the story is fun, just like following detective story, only that the baddy has turned out cute 'the cricket'!!

    ReplyDelete